Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pastor, You Never Told Me


Pastor,

You never told me… and now, look where I am!

Every Sunday I dressed my best to attend a church that I have been attending all of my life, thirty-eight years to be exact. In fact, it was the church home of my parents and their parents as well. They were married in that church, that sparkling white church on the hill. My husband and I were also married in that church, about 600 guests were in attendance on that lovely day.

We went to church faithfully every Sunday, rain, sleet, summer, or winter. We were dressed in the finest attire from head to toe, sharp as a whistle. We sat — hmm, on the same side of the church, usually the fourth or fifth pew from the altar, so we could get a good look at the pastor, choir, and speakers, if any.

My best friend was also a member of the church, Renee Hanson, remember her? She was on the budget committee. She and her husband and their two children, of whom we were the god-parents, such well respected children, attending one of the finest elementary schools in the country. Remember them?

My husband and I weren’t millionaires, but we never wanted for anything. I gave to charities every year, sometimes twice a year. I smile and speak to people in the stores. I helped an old lady cross the street one day. I even drove my 85-year old aunt to the hospital, in a snow storm, I might add. My husband and I tithed 10% of our income every Sunday and were active members. I even raised $10,674.76 one year at our annual bake off sale. And the next day they congratulated me for all my hard work and the gospel choir sang like they never sang before! The entire congregation was on their feet! The entire church was rocking after I raised that money.
 
Well, pastor, my best friend and her husband aren’t here… turns out they repented regularly and had a closer relationship with our heavenly Father than my husband and I. I never knew repentance was a major factor in salvation… you never told me. Renee and I were friends for 20 years, but the conversation on repentance never came up. I guess they thought we already knew. Well, now that I think back, I do remember them saying something about repenting, studying and gaining knowledge from some of the Apocrypha books as well. But, my favorite movie was on at the time. 

But how did they know, pastor? You didn't tell them either. The answer is simple, they had fellowship with each other everyday. They read their Bibles, meditated on scriptures and repented daily. My husband and I did not. Pastor, you never told me I needed to do all of those things. I thought church was all I needed. And now, I’m being thrown into the lake of fire from a lack of knowledge. I heard that scripture before, but I thought it meant educational knowledge, not spiritual knowledge. And I definitely didn’t think it had anything to do with salvation. And now, I stand here in this place that was reserved for Satan and his angels. Thinking on how I ended up here. Pastor, you never told me.

Will you look over there, to my left! It’s Mrs. Haden from down the street. That nice old lady. She’s here?! She gave out cookies, food, and candy to the neighborhood children everyday and... what! My aunt Lucy?! She went to church everyday but Saturday. And was always singing and praising our Lord Yeshua. And look, there’s Uncle Bob... well, I had a feeling he’d be here. Next to him... look there’s my husband. He's seventh in line. The sins of his youth were enormous. And as a broker he misguided some of his clients, but it was only a few, and it was for the better of the company, so he thought. Ooh! And look, there’s his boss, up next. Ouch! Huh, that’s gotta hurt, ouch! Whew-wee! Pastor, you never told me!

I believed in my Father God Yahweh, I did, I truly did. But he said he never knew me. And... well, who can argue with God? His judgments are fair. So, pastor, there’s no repenting now, life on earth is over, but if I only had one more hour. One more minute. I would repent for everything that I’ve done knowingly and unknowingly; for all the sins of my youth, including that abortion at 18, and sex before marriage; and that $5 necklace I stole when I was 15. Oh, and for regularly gossiping about folks, especially that man with one... well, not worth saying. I'd repent for cursing, and for not honestly helping the needy. I don’t know the name of that charity that I gave to yearly, I didn't really care about those children. I'd repent for watching those dirty movies on Friday evenings and even on the Sabbath. There's so much more. If I only had one more hour! One more minute!

My righteous acts didn’t outweigh my unrighteous acts. I didn’t know what that meant until now. Pastor, you never told me, but then again my salvation wasn’t up to you. I always thought in order to go to heaven you had to belong to a church. I guess I was wrong again because I do not see my neighbor, Carol or her husband here. They never went to church. She always mentioned something about home Bible study or home fellowship... I don't remember. 

Matthew 18:20, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

Oh, wait! That reminds me. If I had one more minute, I'd ask God to forgive me for that time I... I can't tell you my name has been called.


DON’T GET TO HELL, TO FINALLY WAKE UP!

WAKE UP NOW—REPENT!

“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou has rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.” Hosea 4:6

Written by T. N. Rubio
May 13, 2012

No comments: