Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Why Do You Pray


Taken from the series entitled, Lunch with Jesus

Liza is a non-believer, yet curious. Kate is a Christian to the heart. She loves God with all her mind, heart, body and soul. On this particular day, Liza was reading a magazine and when she turned to the next page, the membership form fell out of it. So Liza reached down to the floor to pick it up. On her way up she glanced at Kate and noticed she was praying. She waited for her to finish, then politely walked over to her and said, "Hi Kate, may I ask you something?"

"Sure," she replied.

"Why do you pray?" Liza asked.

"Prayer is my method of connecting with God. I thank him for continuing to allow me to breathe. I thank him for my family. I thank him for the day. And I thank him for my food. Then a scripture will come to mind, such as today, Psalm 118:24, "This is the day, the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Then I dwell for a moment on that verse and say, Amen."

"And you do this each time over a meal, even a snack like today?" Liza asked.

"Yes, I do, "Kate continued, "but not just over a meal. I do this throughout the day, everyday. Throughout the day I connect with God. My relationship with God is important. He's my strength, my joy, my comfort, my healer and Jesus is my salvation. Many times when you see me filing forms or typing on the computer, I'm thinking about the Lord's goodness and mercy."

"Oh, okay," Liza said. "That's all I wanted to ask. See you back in the office."

The next day, Liza had another question for Kate and Kate kindly answered. And the next day Liza had another question... and Kate answered again. The next day, Liza asked Kate if she could join her for lunch. Kate graciously invited her to join her.

For the next seven weeks, Kate and Liza spent their lunch, as well as their breaks, talking about the Lord and reading scriptures. Six weeks later, Liza was baptized and now accepts Jesus as her personal Lord and Savior.

Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there in the midst of them."

As Christians we want to always be ready to give an answer as to why we have made Jesus our Lord and Savior. We should always be ready to give an answer as to why we do the things that we do in the Lord.

Oftentimes, many Christians want to bombard people with their beliefs and many miss the mark and turn people away from the faith because the focus was not on God, but what you thought they should be doing and how they should be believing. The focus turned into you and your judgments and not on the Lord.

As followers of Christ, we are to be the light of the world. Matthew 5:14 reads, "You are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." We are the light of the world, not condemners of the world.

As we read in John 3:16-19, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."

Jesus has already told us what a non-believers condemnation is. Jesus didn't condemn people to hell as we see and hear a lot of Christians doing today. And this method of converting others to the faith, does not work, rather it turns people away from you and the faith and your God.

We are to be the light of the world, not condemning and pointing fingers at others. Be a light and let your light shine among men. Let your light shine in darkness. And be ready to give an answer when it comes to you and your relationship with your Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. You don't have to preach during this time, but let your personal relationship and your love for Christ shine through you, your words, your actions and your spirit.

Until next time,

Please watch and share the video below

Tribulation Begins Soon Get Ready

No comments: