Skip to main content

Old Ship of Zion

 
Old Ship of Zion
Written by
M. J. Cartwright in 1889

Performed by
The Roberta Martin Singers (1949)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZojzCEHzv0

I was lost in sin and sorrow
on an isle in life’s dark sea
When I saw far in the distance
there a ship it seemed to be
Then I saw the Captain beckon,
He cried so loud and free
“My child, I’ve come to save you, step on board and follow me!”

‘Tis the old ship of Zion
‘Tis the old ship of Zion
‘Tis the old ship of Zion
‘Tis the old ship of Zion
‘Tis the old ship of Zion
I got on board, early one morning
I got on board

There ain’t no danger in the water
There ain’t no danger in the water
There ain’t no danger in the water
There ain’t no danger in the water
There ain’t no danger in the water
I got on board, early one morning
I got on board.

Were our ancestors trying to tell us something? It’s so amazing when I listen to the spirituals of our ancestors and I can’t help but wonder what did they know?! Over the years the knowledge somehow—stopped I will have to say during the period—well, I’m going to have to go my mother’s birth year of 1941 and let’s give or take a few years. The knowledge of our journey ended with a great many in that generation. The knowledge of Jesus and everything the Father in heaven had done for us. How we worshiped, how we prayed, how we communed with our Father became nothing more than a proverb.

Thus, the knowledge of our ancestors slowly quieted and turned towards the history of slavery and the ships that brought my people over to this New World. A great many people that were born after 1941 tell their children the history of slavery and the Civil Rights Movement and all of those topics are great. However, we had a history long before slavery and that history has been quieted over the last 60 years or more.

Instead of trying to hold on to our history, which is so rich in itself, our ancestors decided to instill the oppressors way of life, traditions and culture. Thus, this is what we in turn passed down to our children. The beautiful aspect is—the generation that was skipped born sometime between 1968 and 1978 is beginning to bring the knowledge of our history back to our children, younger siblings, family members and whoever else has ears to hear.
It really saddens me when I hear people write blogs or make comments such as, “See what Christianity has done to Blacks, they loved the ship! There thanking the white man!” This song has nothing to do with the white man or being in slavery and oppressed. Christianity is—our story. That is why so many of us gravitate to it and can’t let it go. It’s instilled in our DNA—plain and simple, Christianity or shall I say the Holy Bible is—our story (which involves months and months or years of study). We must stop blaming the oppressor and look at the message which is clearly given. For we know that Christianity is not our religion; however, the Bible is our story!

Rediscovering our history sheds so much light and beauty on us as a people. Our ancestors remind us through song, praise and dance who we were, tell us about their experiences, their love for Jesus and how they overcame the snares of the oppressors. It is only through the knowledge of the Father in heaven that we are now able to hear these words as they resonate within.

The Bible talks about these Ships of Zion; not the transatlantic, but the Ships of Zion. These Ships are not bringing us to a land that is not our own they’re taking us back to our Native Land. I know our ancestors had the knowledge of the Father when they wrote a lot of these spirituals. Whether it’s the Ships of Zion or Swing Low Sweet Chariot, how awesome it is when you have ears to hear the message and relate to what is being sung!

One day and one day soon, we will get on board. On that Ship of Zion where there’s no danger in the water. For those of you who can’t swim—no worries! You’re completely safe. All you have to do is get on board and let Jesus and His heavenly angels do the rest!

Get on Board!

Please click the link below and enjoy the song!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armor of God Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFnEkuoV-A8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Walking in Wisdom

Our opening scriptural verse is taken from the book of Matthew 5:16, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Today's message for September 25, 2017 is entitled, Walk with Wisdom, Not Your Feelings A great many of individuals, as many of us have heard the phrase, wear their feelings on their shoulders. Their life is dictated according to their feelings. If they feel like doing something, they will do it. If they don't feel like doing something, even if they have promised, they won't do it. Why? Because their emotions rule the course of their activities. Their emotions rule how they will respond to certain situation. Their emotions decide whether or not they will like a person or dislike a person. Their emotions set the stage for, whether or not they will have a good day or bad day. In other words, they live their life according to the flesh. When we live our life according to the f...

The Power of Binding and Loosing

I have always said, “There is tremendous power in the Holy Bible. You just have to know how to work.” I hear many people talk about how this person brings on stress and this person brings on drama and how being around certain people, even family members is stressful. Sometimes I listen, but oftentimes, especially if they are a close friend or family member, I'll ask, “Have you read Matthew 16:19 ?” Typical response is, “Hmm, I'll have to read it to see what it says.” They'll read starting with verse 17 and ending on verse 19 some may read 20 as well. Then give me...the blank stare. What is Matthew 16:19 It reads, “And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed on heaven.” In the Strong's Concordance Greek #1210, the word bind means, to tie, bind, imprison, bound, tied, in bonds, knit, wound. The word loose in the Gree...