Thursday, July 26, 2018

Prayer and the Portals of Heaven


From the Desk of Sister Abigail

Kneeling Before God

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would pray, by keeling down over the bed. She would be so engrossed in prayer, that she wouldn't even know that I had entered the room and knelt down by the bed beside her. I'd stay there, say a short prayer of whatever was on my youthful mind at the time, then remain silent until she finished. When my grandmother was finished, she surprisingly looked over at me, would smile the biggest smile and say, “How long have you been in here?” I'd smile back. Then she'd give me a kiss, and we'd arise from our knelt position and go on about our day.

Image result for portals of heaven
I did this often as a child, but somewhere along the line... that stopped. But today, on this day, upon awakening, I was reminded of my grandmother. Those memories of her praying by the bed filled my mind as if it occurred yesterday. I then got out of bed and turned around, and knelt on the bed to pray as I did so many years ago. On this day, I started my day by kneeling under the heavens and what a refreshing day it was!

Oftentimes, the traditions of man, take us away from the path of what we know in our hearts lead to God. Perhaps we have become so accustomed to standing in the presence of the Lord, raising our heads and hands to the sky in admiration of our Lord. But what happened to the verses regarding, “Every knee shall bow...”?

Romans 14:11, “For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue confess to God.”

Philippians 2:10-11, “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Isaiah 45:23, “I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return. That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath.”

Our ancestors had no trouble kneeling before the Lord, kneeling under the heavens. You might say, “Sister Abigail, my knees hurt. I have bad knees.” Perhaps that may be because you're not kneeling before God in prayer. Selah.

Brothers and sisters, Jesus' yoke is easy. He said to cast our cares and burdens upon him for His burdens are light [Matthew 11:30]. Then straightway it occurred to me, while I was kneeling before the Lord this morning, that when I knelt down, my load came down with me to the ground, or to the floor I should say; but when I rose up, my burden was light!

Many people pray. As a matter of fact, many people pray everyday, even throughout the day. Could it be possible that kneeling before God is the respect, honor, faith and humility needed to rid away of all our vices? Could kneeling before God be the key to opening the doors of heaven. As well as answer all prayers, and heal every manner of sickness and disease, and gladly rejoice in the day at hand?

Psalm 118:24, “This is the day the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”

In the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: